Keyword

TOPIC: Sister City or Town Twinning

Bookmark and Share

Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19897

• Aysun
  • Patron
  • Think Positive
  • Thank you received: 1898
Have you ever heard of Sister City or Town Twinning? I've heard a lot but honestly I don't know what do they do...except, visiting eachother (especially Mayors and Journalists).

“Sister City” and “Twin Town” terms are used to describe the cooperative agreements between towns, cities and even counties in geographically and politically distinct areas to promote cultural and commercial ties.
The first recorded modern sister city agreement was in 1920 and its aim was to bring people from different cultures into a closer understanding of each other. Today with the help of this sisterhood many towns and cities from all corners of the world came together and had close relations with each other. After the Second World War the term of Sister City gained more importance as an act of peace and reconciliation. As being a cultural bridge between all the social classes, Sister City implementation also encourages people to mutual understanding.By the sister city activities, the cities deeply experience the daily lives of each other and has the opportunity to exchange their ideas by managing projects in various fields such as education, environment, economical reconstruction and culture. Thus many citizens have the opportunity to meet new friends from different cities and they support to live in peace by this international communication. The aims of international sister city implementations are to provide communication and reconciliation, to carry out international youth exchange projects, to corporate in economical reconstruction, science and culture. Antalya has been giving a great importance to sister city relations for many years. The sister city meetings became an important part of our urban life as they add richness to the cultural life of our city. Antalya has been successfully carrying out sister city relations with these 18 cities below:
The first recorded modern sister city agreement was in 1920 and its aim was to bring people from different cultures into a closer understanding of each other. Today with the help of this sisterhood many towns and cities from all corners of the world came together and had close relations with each other.

After the Second World War the term of Sister City gained more importance as an act of peace and reconciliation.

As being a cultural bridge between all the social classes, Sister City implementation also encourages people to mutual understanding.

By the sister city activities, the cities deeply experience the daily lives of each other and has the opportunity to exchange their ideas by managing projects in various fields such as education, environment, economical reconstruction and culture. Thus many citizens have the opportunity to meet new friends from different cities and they support to live in peace by this international communication.

The aims of international sister city implementations are to provide communication and reconciliation, to carry out international youth exchange projects, to corporate in economical reconstruction, science and culture.

Antalya has been giving a great importance to sister city relations for many years. The sister city meetings became an important part of our urban life as they add richness to the cultural life of our city.

Antalya has been successfully carrying out sister city relations with these 18 cities below:

Cheboksary -Chuvashia / RUSSIA (1995) gov.cap.ru/

Rostov-On-Don / RUSSIA (1995) www.rostov-gorod.ru/eng/

Bat Yam / ISRAEL (1997) www.bat-yam.muni.il/

Nüremberg/ GERMANY (1997) www.nuernberg.de/

Famagusta / TURKISH REBUPLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS (2001) www.magusa.org/

Chicago / USA (2002) www.cityofchicago.org/city/en.html

Samarkand / UZBEKISTAN (2002) www.e-samarkand.narod.ru/

Kazan-Tatarstan / RUSSIA (2003) www.kzn.ru/eng/

Taldykorgan / KAZAKHSTAN (2003) akimat-taldykorgan.kz/

Split / CROATIA (2003) www.split.hr/

Almaty / KAZAKHSTAN (2005) www.almaty.kz/

Brest / BELARUS (2005) www.city.brest.by/

Malmö / SWEDEN (2008) www.malmo.se/

Yalta / UKRAYNA (2008) yalta-gs.gov.ua/

Austin-Texas / USA (2008) www.ci.austin.tx.us/

Haikou / PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (2011) www.haikou.cn/

Mostar / BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA (2011) www.mostar.ba/

Kunming / PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (2011) www.kunming.cn/

Source:http://antalya.bel.tr/ENG/content.asp?MAINMENUID=38&MENUID=143
 (✿◠‿◠) 
Make love not war

www.askaysun.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey

Re: Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19898

• Murkey
  • Caycı
  • Thank you received: 2501
Where I come from, Falmouth, isn't twinned with any town but it does have a suicide pact with Yeovil
“Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.”
― Johnny Depp

Re: Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19899

• Murkey
  • Caycı
“Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.”
― Johnny Depp
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Aysun

Re: Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19902

• Steve
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 1271
Mack wrote:
Where I come from, Falmouth, isn't twinned with any town but it does have a suicide pact with Yeovil

Clearly there have been some changes!!

Falmouth is formally twinned with Douarnenez in Brittany and Rotenburg (Wümme) in Germany and is encouraging informal cultural links with Villagarcia in Spain.

Total electorate 17,625. Total population 21,385. Area 776 hectares.

Please visit Falmouth’s official destination website www.falmouth.co.uk

Re: Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19903

• Murkey
  • Caycı
Way to kill a joke Steeeeeve :P :fight :)
― Johnny Depp

Re: Sister City or Town Twinning 2 years 7 months ago #19904

• Steve
  • Sultan
  • Thank you received: 1271
Mack wrote:

Yes, but it would only be truly funny

If they went through with it!

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Murkey
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds